Thursday, April 07, 2005

Kathy Sierra on teaching

You really ought to check out Kathy Sierra's blog, "Creating Passionate Users". It is full of interesting nuggets about how to transfer stuff -- concepts, ideas, info, etc. -- from one brain to another brain, through books, courses, seminars, conferernces, whatever. Kathy is one of the authors of the "Head First ..." series of books (published by O'Reilly) that teach concepts in programming and software development using highly informal -- but tremendously attractive -- techniques. Her posts on teaching are informed by her experience with the "Head First" series of books.

Here are the links to Kathy's posts that are relevant to teaching:

I am sure you too would agree that she has lots of interesting things to say!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blogs you have here, both nanopolitian (did i get that right?) and blog of small things...Thanks for the comments left at my site..I have tried to answer your questions in my latest post at interim thoughts...

Anonymous said...

really good blogs both of them. thank you so much

how did you get the design of this one?

cheers
shivam

Anonymous said...

Hi Neelakantan, Shivam,

Thanks for dropping by, and more importantly, for posting your comments. I really appreciate it.

The design of both the blogs were taken from the basic blogger skin called "minima", and tinkering around with the CSS specs. I still need to spruce up the sidebar content, though.

Well, thanks again.
Cheers,
Abi.

Anonymous said...

This is real cool!!!! I am actually about to do an MS course.

My idea is to develop a scientific economy in India by way of lobbying and starting up 'protective incubators'.

I call this concept 'protective incubator' as it would be giving political and economic protection to the industries it spawns.

I have lots of ideas about how to do this. I had an idea of wiring up almost the entire of India. I searched for technical expertise in IISc and couldn't find one. Maybe i searched the wrong places :-)

Anyways do tell me what u think of it

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Sierra for the glib continuum. The move from instinct to some sort of so-called optimized rationality remains a mystery to me. I'm wondering, to the extent that master oralists such as those characterized by Walter Ong are capable of singing for their supper as professional oralists, whether their successes are more rooted in oral technique than some sort of gullibility quotient in their audiences? Audience-specific success?